COVID-19

joanne said:

and revoked D‘s toilet use privileges! (Sadly, I had to reinstate the privileges)

LOL!  It took quite a while to arrange the repairs and, with the current circumstances, you can't just send the kids to the neighbors to use the toilet. Some tense hours.

A friend had a leaking furnace the other day and called a plumber in upon finding a puddle. (I recommended “turn the furnace off and pull out all your blankets,” but she didn’t see that as viable) She had way less clean up than you, but afterwards she also put her own clothes immediately in a load with hot water and showered and then went for a long walk to get outside fresh air right after that. 

I just kept picturing my mum and grandmother hiding in a Parisian attic for years, with a small saucepan for their chamberpot, and some newspaper for TP if they were lucky, sneaking out at night to empty the pot. 
Thank Gd we don’t have that; there are all kinds of workable alternatives for a short while. 
i haven’t stopped filling a bucket of water ‘just in case’ each morning, though - I don’t fully trust the pipes again. 

Re the Essex County chart, as of yesterday there has been one death in Millburn (someone in their 80s).  On the other hand, out of 56 confirmed cases, only one person was in the hospital, which strikes me as pretty good.  Are your towns giving hospitalization stats?   

bub said:

Re the Essex County chart, as of yesterday there has been one death in Millburn (someone in their 80s).  On the other hand, out of 56 confirmed cases, only one person was in the hospital, which strikes me as pretty good.  Are your towns giving hospitalization stats?   

Not to my knowledge.  

DaveSchmidt said:

Thanks, PVW, I just read the Atlantic article. It’s an effective antidote when, as the headline puts it, Everyone Thinks They’re Right About Masks.

I know I was right when I said you were lied to. The knowledge that everyone would be helped by masks was there. You were sacrificed to protect others.

Now it seems that information was, depending on your interpretation, overly simplistic, misleading or just wrong. “I’m not sure it’s that the knowledge changed, but that our priorities changed,” Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, the chairman of the department of medical ethics and health policy at the University of Pennsylvania, told me over the phone this week.
He suggested that the priority was always to reserve masks for health care workers. “But I don’t think we understood or put in context how masks might affect physical distancing in public,” he said. “You’re trying to juggle a number of considerations in real time, and the wrong balancing act was struck.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-fake-news.html

And many will still suffer because of preferment given to others

A tale of two agencies: NYC transit workers to receive nearly 250,000 N95 masks to protect against coronavirus.

I can see the conductors needing N95's. But the motorman who sits in his isolated cab up front? Or the token booth clerks in their isolated booths? What about track workers? Don't the store clerks, who we so depend on, deserve masks? Will they ever get them considering governmental agencies grab up everything for themselves? What about seniors? Or the infirm? They need to make their own?

BG9 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Thanks, PVW, I just read the Atlantic article. It’s an effective antidote when, as the headline puts it, Everyone Thinks They’re Right About Masks.

I know I was right when I said you were lied to. The knowledge that everyone would be helped by masks was there. You were sacrificed to protect others.

Now it seems that information was, depending on your interpretation, overly simplistic, misleading or just wrong. “I’m not sure it’s that the knowledge changed, but that our priorities changed,” Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, the chairman of the department of medical ethics and health policy at the University of Pennsylvania, told me over the phone this week.
He suggested that the priority was always to reserve masks for health care workers. “But I don’t think we understood or put in context how masks might affect physical distancing in public,” he said. “You’re trying to juggle a number of considerations in real time, and the wrong balancing act was struck.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-fake-news.html

the priority was always to reserve masks for health care workers

You know, I'm tired of hearing this trope. If I see a mask in CVS and decide not to buy it, and in fact no one decides to buy it, how will this mask get to a health care pro?

The only possible way is

1. hospitals send out roving parties to hit all of the local stores that might sell masks.

2. someone (like CVS e.g.) decides to recall all of their masks from the stores and somehow gets them to a hospital.

is 1 likely to happen? Don't think so.

Has 2 happened? Don't think so.

And even if either happened, how many masks does anyone think can be retrieved from stores? Can it possibly be anything more than a tiny percentage of masks that are actually produced?

Everyone likes to say reserve masks for health care workers, but I've not heard ONE person explain how that's supposed to work.

It's a totally b.s. reason - all it serves to do is to guilt the public.

cramer said:

And now Sean Hannity starts a campaign against Andrew Cuomo. It's sickening.  

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sean-hannity-gov-cuomo-stop-denying-new-yorkers-hydroxychloroquine

He's a public menace. His denial and telling his listeners to deny, go out in public because its like the flu had serious repercussions. There are limits to freedom of speech. You can't in a theater scream fire when there is none. But shouldn't there also be liability to scream there is no fire when there is? Fox News should be held liable. Not that I expect this administration to do that.

So we now have the next stage in his playbook. Divert and get the deplorables and the stupid ramped up. Decry Cuomo as the one who's denying treatment.

Despicable.

This is exactly what the country doesn't need.  

drummerboy said:

You know, I'm tired of hearing this trope. If I see a mask in CVS and decide not to buy it, and in fact no one decides to buy it, how will this mask get to a health care pro?

The only possible way is

1. hospitals send out roving parties to hit all of the local stores that might sell masks.

2. someone (like CVS e.g.) decides to recall all of their masks from the stores and somehow gets them to a hospital.

And even if either happened, how many masks does anyone think can be retrieved from stores? Can it possibly be anything more than a tiny percentage of masks that are actually produced?

1. Individual medical workers do their own roving to equip themselves and colleagues.

3. A retailer like Home Depot, Target or Amazon halts sales and decides to give the N95 masks it has on hand to hospitals. The masks you didn’t buy now go to health workers.

How many? Only a tiny percentage? Just yesterday I found a box of N95 masks that I had forgotten I had bought some time ago while putting up insulation. You tell me how many there need to be in that box before I donate them instead of wearing them myself to Stop & Shop.

Gov. Cuomo, who is now speaking at his press conference, said that ICU admissions and deaths in NY are dropping for the first time. He doesn't know if this means that the peak has been reached or if there is a plateau and NY is somewhere on the plateau. It will only be known next when there are more days to look at. One can hope. 

Govl Murphy said on Friday that NJ is one week behind NY. 

eta -  This has been posted before, but this link takes you to a map and case count of coronavirus cases in the U.S.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

The only possible way is

1. Individual medical workers do their own roving to equip themselves and colleagues.

3. A retailer like Home Depot, Target or Amazon halts sales and decides to give the N95 masks it has on hand to hospitals. The masks you didn’t buy now go to health workers.

How many? Only a tiny percentage? Just yesterday I found a box of N95 masks that I had forgotten I had bought some time ago while putting up insulation. You tell me how many there need to be in that box before I donate them instead of wearing them myself to Stop & Shop.

how is your #3 not my #2?

Your linked article for #1 is hardly dispositive to the point. Can you say "vague anecdote"?

I'll bet dollars to donuts that all of the masks in forgotten boxes in the basement don't amount to [eensy weensy number]% of the number of masks consumed by health care pros. Donate them or not - it's insignificant, except perhaps to your conscience.

The point being that the amount of air time given to this notion is way, way out of proportion to it's import or effect.

drummerboy said:

No. 2 didn’t happen. No. 3 happened.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

No. 2 didn’t happen. No. 3 happened.

do you have a cite for that? I can't find anything.

regardless, that's fine if it happened. I have no problem with that. But, (there's always a but) that has nothing to do with a consumer decision, which are the people that are targeted by this notion.

drummerboy said:

Donate them or not - it's insignificant, except perhaps to your conscience.

And just possibly significant to the random medical worker who might not otherwise have gotten one, because that’s what a shortage means.

Today Sweden announced, that hydroxychloroquine will no longer be used due to serious side effects.  Details of the side effects were not listed in the news blurp I read.

tomcat said:

Today Sweden announced, that hydroxychloroquine will no longer be used due to serious side effects.  Details of the side effects were not listed in the news blurp I read.

meanwhile, The Science Times just published this, with, I think, a grossly misleading headline.

I don't read The Science Times regularly. It looks pretty legit, but this article is really misleading and poorly written.

How the tune has changed. Now, its most urgent we do this:

NEW JERSEY – In case you're wondering, or you were unsure of what he said, this is what New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy wants you to do:

Wear a mask or face covering.

That could be the most urgent thing that Murphy wants you to do to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, which has now infected 34,124 New Jerseyans and killed 846 of them.

But Murphy actually has a list of four urgent tasks he wants people to follow if we're going to "flatten the curve" and prevent this incurable disease from spiraling out of control in New Jersey, he said.
"If you wear a mask, you're protecting others," Persichilli said. "If others are wearing them, they are protecting you."

Great revelation. What will be next? Water is wet?

tweet won't embed, but this is worth a watch to understand the effects of covid.

https://twitter.com/techinsider/status/1241615285045657603?s=20

drummerboy said:

I don't read The Science Times regularly. It looks pretty legit, but this article is really misleading and poorly written.

Who could resist a “complete informational and content package for science enthusiasts in the web” and its anonymous “staff reporters”? No doubt a majority of its readers, or 37 percent, share its pride in its work.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/about-us

It's a Washington Times story by Valerie Richardson. The WT is the one owned by the Moonies, isn't it?

It is. From what I can tell, Science Times is a rewrite farm, and a slow-loading one at that. But kudos to them, because in the web, not just anybody can look pretty legit.

For those still comparing this to the flu, NY State has already had nearly as many Covid deaths as it did flu deaths for the entire 2018 flu season (roughly six months but could be more).  Believe it or not, the first confirmed Covid death in NY was in mid March, so NY has hit that number in just a few weeks.

DaveSchmidt said:

It is. From what I can tell, Science Times is a rewrite farm, and a slow-loading one at that. But kudos to them, because in the web, not just anybody can look pretty legit.

sorry. I apologize for polluting the thread.

drummerboy said:

tomcat said:

meanwhile, The Science Times just published this, with, I think, a grossly misleading headline.

A similar drug, mefloquine, has been given to US and Canadian veterans for over 20 years with not good results.

https://www.dav.org/learn-more/news/2020/mefloquine-miscues/

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!