Cicada-palooza 2021 is a comin'

Sometime in the next few weeks, the cicada Brood X will start emerging.

As I recall, the last major brood event was kind of a bust here in NJ.

The worst brood I recall was in the mid-90's. (96-ish?) Not quite sure. The noise and the stench were overwhelming in my neighborhood. I never saw such a thing. 

I'm hoping for a bust.

Cicadas are the sound of summer heat.

Is there really a "stench"?  I do not recall any foul smells from the past.

rhw said:

Is there really a "stench"?  I do not recall any foul smells from the past.

Oh yeah. From the discarded skins. We had oak trees where the lawn at their bases were covered with hundreds and hundreds of skins. Maybe more. I had to rake them up to get rid of them.  They reeked. It was pretty gross.

drummerboy said:

Oh yeah. From the discarded skins. We had oak trees where the lawn at their bases were covered with hundreds and hundreds of skins. Maybe more. I had to rake them up to get rid of them.  They reeked. It was pretty gross.

I missed that part entirely!

rcarter31 said:

drummerboy said:

I missed that part entirely!

yeah, the density of the brood is kind of localized I guess, but our street got slammed. It was like a sci fi movie.

A) Cicadas are edible (deep-fried when they've just molted their old carapaces), are said to taste like shrimp, and are high in protein, low in fat. And

2) Lorraine Feather is the only jazz singer I know who's written a song about them...

-s.

I remember an enormous invasion of cicadas, must have been late 70s, early 80s?  Riding at Watchung Stable on the trails, all you could hear was the bugs humming and the neverending crunch, crunch crunch as the horses walked on them.  Bleah

Possibly 1981. I was in HS and vividly remember a boy being dared to eat one, and I recall it mainly because he took the dare. 

We had a good number the last time around -- definitely much less than 17 years ago -- which I THINK means we won't get many this time. My sense is this brood generally isn't in our part of the state so much, but most of the reporting on this isn't at a very local level, so the whole state gets colored in on a map. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.