Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

Carl Reiner, 98. I thought he’d live forever.

annielou said:

Carl Reiner, 98. I thought he’d live forever.

He almost did...he, and the Oldest Man...

LOL  so many wonderful lines, and sketches, to replay, and some are even more relevant now. 

Mel Brooks (age 94) is really going to miss his great friend. They regularly still watched movies and laughed together.

It’s the kind of career that’s so rich you can easily forget gems like The Russians Are Coming until you read the obituary and go, “Oh, right, that too!”

Somehow I missed his involvement in some of my favorite Steve Martin movies.

Shame on me.

The start of a Reiner thread, featuring Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

Right up to the end - 

There must have been something in the water at the Dick Van Dyke Show, given how long so many of the principals lived (or in Van Dyke's case, still living). It's still one of the old TV shows that holds up (mostly. the sexism is cringy, like the episode when Rob doesn't want Laura to go back to work as a dancer). But so many of the episodes were based around misunderstandings because the characters were trying to be nice. Which I guess was a reflection on Carl Reiner as the creative force.

A classic episode:

and then there was the pilot for the Dick Van Dyke show, called "Head of the Family" and starring Carl Reiner.

Here's TV critic Alan Sepinwall's take on it:

Carl Reiner didn’t mean to create The Dick Van Dyke Show — or, rather, he didn’t mean to create a show for Dick Van Dyke. When he sat down to write what was then called Head of the Family, Reiner was basing its hero, Rob Petrie, on his own experiences as a suburban dad and writer for Sid Caesar’s sketch-comedy shows. So who better to play Rob than himself? Reiner starred in the pilot episode, with Barbara Britton as Rob’s wife, Laura, and Morty Gunty and Sally Rogers as Rob’s co-writers Buddy and Sally. CBS passed, but producer Sheldon Leonard suggested Van Dyke, who was a hit on Broadway in Bye Bye Birdie Reiner swallowed his pride, made a new pilot with Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Morey Amsterdam, and Rose Marie in the key roles, and history was made.

There's a lot to be said for a creative person who can put aside his ego to make something really great.

and it truly was better with Van Dyke and MTM.  Here's the Reiner pilot:

I'll always be grateful to him for making my hometown of New Rochelle famous.

I always mused that the Petri house actually existed in New Roc

The Dick Van Dyke Show is streaming for free on pluto.tv

Hugh Downs was the host of “Concentration” in the old quiz show days. Also hosted the Today Show for a while.

Ennio Morricone - 91

This brings me to tears

Ciao

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53305397

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-19626787

such a rich sound and so many memories attached to his scores... this is indeed a hard year. 

The score to Once Upon a Time in America is my favorite, but I'll have to revisit The Mission now.

Morricone, more than most, to my ear anyway, was the best in integrating the score with the movie. And Once Upon... is the peak of that integration for me.

I just read that Sergio Leone asked for the score first sometimes, before filming, so that he could fit the movie to the music.

Charlie Daniels, too. 
Goodness.  Such zest for life.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53315098

Daniels' last tweet was about Benghazi.

Didn't know he was a right-wing arsehole.

drummerboy said:

I made the mistake of taking my oldest daughter to see Charlie Daniels in Sayreville. In between songs, he came out with a couple of anti-gay slurs.. He had already played, "The Devil Came Down to Georgia (Actually, I don't think he ever left Georgia) so we upped and left.

drummerboy said:

oh, he turned into a right wing nutter decades ago.  The same guy who wrote "Uneasy Rider"  ended up doing a homophobic sequel in 1988.  vampire

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

oh, he turned into a right wing nutter decades ago.  The same guy who wrote "Uneasy Rider"  ended up doing a homophobic sequel in 1988.  
vampire

TBH the only song of his I know is The Devil Went Down to Georgia. I never paid much attention to him.

drummerboy said:

TBH the only song of his I know is The Devil Went Down to Georgia. I never paid much attention to him.

Uneasy Rider is actually a pretty good satirical novelty song.  The 70s one.

just listened to it. Yeah, it's vaguely familiar. 

Vale, mythbuster Grant Imahara. 
Gone way too soon.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.