Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

Danny Aiello. Sal from Sal’s Famous Pizza in “Do the Right Thing”. Also “Moonstruck”. Real Jersey guy who never went Hollywood.

Adieu to the first French Bond Girl, Claudine Auger: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50864159 
so many fans will be heartbroken. 

Be Here Now 

RIP Baba Ram Das

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/ram-dass-dies/

7, sits before an altar at his home in Hawaii. | Photograph by Jonathan Perugia / Gaia Visual

Rum Dum to his father, RD to his friends, Ram Dass was a true original. He lived out loud, with a rollicking laugh and seemingly irrepressible esprit de corps.

Don Imus, "Imus in the Morning."  Retired, two years ago.

I feel like this thread has had a major curtailing effect on discussions of famous people who've passed. I miss the time when a major celebrity death would sometimes initiate some very lively threads on that person's life. 

I don't know if it's because the person's name doesnt appear on the main page. But scrolling through here I see, for instance, Cokie Roberts and Peter Fonda getting mentioned in one post and barely discussed at all. 

MOL used to also be where I first found out about the deaths of prominent people. Now I hear about them elsewhere and I notice this thread has bumped to the top.

That said, yeah, ibsaw about Don Imus. I used to love him and listened to his show. I got a little bored of his professional jackass schtick, and as I got older I felt like I was just listening to the high school bullies of the radio world. 

He had an undeniable effect on radio and politics throughout his life. But the problem was he became too aware of his own prominence and that made him a self centered jerk as his career wound down.

mrincredible said:

I feel like this thread has had a major curtailing effect on discussions of famous people who've passed. I miss the time when a major celebrity death would sometimes initiate some very lively threads on that person's life.

I think you’re right. A couple of times since this thread was started in 2016 I’ve created separate R.I.P. threads for figures I wanted to highlight. Not that they generated lively discussions, or any response at all — I can’t force others to share my enthusiasms — but I don’t see anything stopping me from doing that again the next time a death moves me to.

Some prominent deaths deserve a separate thread. As of late on here, though, I haven’t seen familiar names at all, don’t even know who half these folks are. Then someone like Cokie Roberts dies and there’s crickets.

Just heard about Neil Innes, who died yesterday at 75. Many consider him the 7th Monty Python member, leading the band of minstrels who sing about brave Sir Robin in Holy Grail, and the other half The Rutles, but of course he’s equally well known for The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. My first memory of him was from a small show on BBC 2 called The Innes Book of Records, where his original and parody songs were inspirational to my writing. I followed him on Twitter, and he was posting up to 3 days ago. Apparently his death was as surprising to his family as it was to me.

A friend had Matching Tie and Handkerchief in the mid-’70s, and the pastiches of The Background to History were a favorite of mine. “Of the Norman Conquest!”

ridski said:

Just heard about Neil Innes, who died yesterday at 75. Many consider him the 7th Monty Python member, leading the band of minstrels who sing about brave Sir Robin in Holy Grail, and the other half The Rutles, but of course he’s equally well known for The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. My first memory of him was from a small show on BBC 2 called The Innes Book of Records, where his original and parody songs were inspirational to my writing. I followed him on Twitter, and he was posting up to 3 days ago. Apparently his death was as surprising to his family as it was to me.

As a Dad, I also fondly remember him as the Wizard in the kid's TV series, "Puddle Lane".

I saw him perform at Glastonbury one year, and if we hadn't been packed shoulder to shoulder, I would have literally fallen over laughing, my knees actually gave way.

I console myself by telling myself, "He hasn't died, just bravely bravely bravely ran away."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pd_P57wq6E

DaveSchmidt said:

A friend had Matching Tie and Handkerchief in the mid-’70s, and the pastiches of The Background to History were a favorite of mine. “Of the Norman Conquest!”

I had that.

A former colleague compiled several CD collections of deep cuts from his high school years in 1969-72 (Mr. Moonshine by Fat Mattress was a typical selection), and I was lucky enough to be one of his recipients. All the tracks made an impression on me, but this one was a standout:

(And just one person’s vote for the biggest laugh of all from The Rutles, in case it was Innes’s idea: the final note of Cheese and Onions.)

mrincredible said:

I don't know if it's because the person's name doesnt appear on the main page. But scrolling through here I see, for instance, Cokie Roberts and Peter Fonda getting mentioned in one post and barely discussed at all. 

MOL used to also be where I first found out about the deaths of prominent people. Now I hear about them elsewhere and I notice this thread has bumped to the top.

That said, yeah, ibsaw about Don Imus. I used to love him and listened to his show. I got a little bored of his professional jackass schtick, and as I got older I felt like I was just listening to the high school bullies of the radio world. 

He had an undeniable effect on radio and politics throughout his life. But the problem was he became too aware of his own prominence and that made him a self centered jerk as his career wound down.

As a 13 yr old girl on Long Island circa 1981 I attended a charity softball game of Don Imus and WNBC radio staff vs the NY Islanders. There was a prize raffle and I won a framed WNBC radio poster. I got to meet and greet Imus when collecting the prize. He ogled me up and down, asked my age and then made some kind of inappropriate comment about not wanting to believe I was so young. Back then I was too naive to know what to make of it. All I can say now is what a creep! 

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

DaveSchmidt said:

I had that.

I’ve still got the Big Blue (Red) Book somewhere and The Rutles book and album.

joanne said:

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

DaveSchmidt said:

I had that.

I’ve still got the Big Blue (Red) Book somewhere and The Rutles book and album.

You've just reminded me that I, too, have a copy of The Rutles book.  I must take it off the shelf and give it a dust off.  That's the least I can do.

Buck Henry.

What a resume.

He didn’t always hit the mark, but when he did, he was as good as anyone.

I’m replaying the hotel front desk scene from The Graduate in my head right now with deep appreciation.

I didn't realize he had his hand in so much as a writer/director. 

The New York Times published a long obituary on Buck Henry, but I found this really stuck out:

"In addition to his wife, Mr. Henry’s survivors include a daughter from another relationship. His wife said she did not know the daughter’s name."

Anyway, here's "Samurai Optometrist" from SNL in 1978, the third or fourth season.

Edd “kookie” Byrnes. 87. Teen idol and comeback cameo in “Grease”.

Neal Peart - Drummer Extraordinaire with Rush 

bummer. brain cancer.

;feature=emb_logo

How I'll remember Neil Peart (along with the four Rush concerts I've been to starting with the Moving Pictures tour).  RIP Neil.

drummerboy said:

Buck Henry.

What a resume.

A friend from LA posted "Samurai Delicatessen" from SNL this morning on FB.  Had no idea this was why.  Thought it was just a trip back to the glory days of SNL.  At least I started my day off with laughs and giggles.  RIP, Buck.

one of my favorite songs. RIP

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.