Blade Runner 2049

Opens Friday, Oct. 6.  I have tickets for the Sunday, October 8th.  I really hope it's great.  

No tickets yet but I’m excited to see it. The original is still my favorite movie, despite its flaws, and I’ve loved all of Denis Villeneuve‘s work so far. Hoping to see it on the 5th, but it looks like South Orange bow tie isn’t carrying the preview night.

I am excited for this one as well. Hope it's great.

It's amazing how well the original holds up, when so many other "in the future" movies look dated.  That's a testament to the genius handiwork behind it.  Somewhat off-topic, every time I see those big video screen ads that are now around the Short Hills Mall, it reminds me of "Blade Runner" every time.

I'm definitely going to have to see the original again before the sequel. It's been so long I frankly don't remember much about it. Is it available on Netflix, Amazon, etc.? 

I'm hoping for the best but wouldn't get overly excited about the review snippets that have been released.  The studios work really hard at this kind of buzz creation.   Most of those reviewers look like bloggers.

It always intrigued me that three of the greatest, most influential sci-fi flicks came out in the span of a few years in the late 70s and early 80s - Blade Runner, Alien, and The Road Warrior.  What was it about those times or the state of popular culture at that time that led to those movies?    

I remember seeing the original with a group of friends. Everyone else hated it except for me.

======================================================================

I must take exception. What about 2001? Blows all three away. Especially since it was what, 1968? The special effects alone were years ahead of anything else. I saw it when I was 11 - and for years I couldn't decide whether those damn apes were people in costumes or not.

All hail Stanley! cheese

Not to take anything away from your trio - all very great movies.

er, oh yeah. I recall this small film called Star Wars circa 1977. cheese

bub said:

I'm hoping for the best but wouldn't get overly excited about the review snippets that have been released.  The studios work really hard at this kind of buzz creation.   Most of those reviewers look like bloggers.

It always intrigued me that three of the greatest, most influential sci-fi flicks came out in the span of a few years in the late 70s and early 80s - Blade Runner, Alien, and The Road Warrior.  What was it about those times or the state of popular culture at that time that led to those movies?    

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe.

I don't know what you're taking exception to.  I wasn't identifying them as the three greatest sci fi movies ever made, although they're high on my list.  They were released in the same period and have certain things in common.   There's a scruffy noirish feeling to all of them.  The crew of the Nostromo has nothing in common with the cerebral astronauts of 2001 in their shiny space suits.  They're on a space ship but they seem like the grumpy blue collar crew of an ocean going garbage scow.  

Yes, 2001 is great.  The look holds up even after all these years.  I admire it without loving it all that much though.  I think its been described as the greatest boring movie ever made or the most boring great movie ever made.   I don't know if it was a theme of the novel or an overlay by Kubrick but you get the message loud and clear that the people of 2001 are emotionless.  Only Hal and the our prehistoric ancestors at the beginning have any passion.  It makes the whole middle of the movie boring, albeit beautiful eye candy.  

drummerboy said:

I remember seeing the original with a group of friends. Everyone else hated it except for me.

I must take exception. What about 2001? Blows all three away. Especially since it was what, 1968? The special effects alone were years ahead of anything else. I saw it when I was 11 - and for years I couldn't decide whether those damn apes were people in costumes or not.

All hail Stanley! cheese

bub said:

To be fair, there's little noir in Mad Max 2, but like Alien and Blade Runner, it did kick-start a genre. Interestingly, Damnation Alley, released the same year as Star Wars, gets no credit for the motorized post-apoc desert movie genre, even though it definitely came first. Worth seeing if you can, though, is a documentary called Not Quite Hollywood all about the New Wave of Australian cinema in the 70s and early 80s. Once you see what other filmmakers were doing, you realize the original Mad Max was part of an overall movement and somehow managed to get a better distribution deal than the others. 

Ridley Scott was very influenced by Star Wars when he made Alien, though. He loved the "lived in" feel of the Star Wars universe, and transposed this to his space truckers film. 

Agree that "noir" isn't the right word for Road Warrior.  "Steam Punk" I think works better.  There's a clear punk rock fashion sense in the movie. 

My bad. I misread your opening sentence and got all excited.

You made a good point about those three, actually.

bub said:

I don't know what you're taking exception to.  I wasn't identifying them as the three greatest sci fi movies ever made, although they're high on my list.  They were released in the same period and have certain things in common.   There's a scruffy noirish feeling to all of them.  The crew of the Nostromo has nothing in common with the cerebral astronauts of 2001 in their shiny space suits.  They're on a space ship but they seem like the grumpy blue collar crew of an ocean going garbage scow.  

Yes, 2001 is great.  The look holds up even after all these years.  I admire it without loving it all that much though.  I think its been described as the greatest boring movie ever made or the most boring great movie ever made.   I don't know if it was a theme of the novel or an overlay by Kubrick but you get the message loud and clear that the people of 2001 are emotionless.  Only Hal and the our prehistoric ancestors at the beginning have any passion.  It makes the whole middle of the movie boring, albeit beautiful eye candy.  

drummerboy said:

All hail Stanley! cheese

bub said:

Fortunately my first (and only) viewing of 2001 was on the big screen. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I appreciate it for what it is and where it (rightfully) stands in cinematic history. That said, I re-watch Bladerunner every couple or three years, but I will almost certainly never watch 2001 again. I didn't find it boring, exactly, but it's very sterile. For all its bleakness, Bladerunner is just so much fun to watch.

me too. I was 11 years old I think. I have no idea how I knew about the movie, but I still remember walking to the movie theater to see it. and the feeling of wonder after I saw it.

I, on the other hand watch 2001 every few years. Still fascinating to me.

BrickPig said:

Fortunately my first (and only) viewing of 2001 was on the big screen. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I appreciate it for what it is and where it (rightfully) stands in cinematic history. That said, I re-watch Bladerunner every couple or three years, but I will almost certainly never watch 2001 again. I didn't find it boring, exactly, but it's very sterile. For all its bleakness, Bladerunner is just so much fun to watch.

The reviews for the new Blade Runner popped up today and they're killer good. Psyched.

geez, the reviews are crazy good.

"the most spectacular, provocative blockbuster of our time"

That's quite the bold statement.

bub said:

The reviews for the new Blade Runner popped up today and they're killer good. Psyched.

The running time is 2 hours 43 minutes.  I'm bringing food.  Going to an 11 am showing.

Going on Thursday evening. Bringing inoffensive cheese.

Mr T -- I'm afraid to look at reviews.  Are there spoilers in that review?

angelak said:

Mr T -- I'm afraid to look at reviews.  Are there spoilers in that review?

No. It's pretty positive but not overly so. 

Spoiler free review. I’ve seen Blade Runner about 200+ times. I had a vhs copy that I watched so much that the color disappeared and it was literally a black and white movie and that made it even better. I wrote an extremely well-researched essay on Blade Runner for my film studies class in college, mentioning things that my professor who had also studied the film did not know about. There are few subjects in the world that I have dedicated myself to learning everything I can about it, and Blade Runner may be in the top 3. I’m not an expert, but my love for that film knows no bounds, despite its flaws.

I was in awe of every single frame of Blade Runner 2049. 

Wow.  Ridski -- that's fabulous.  Thanks.

I *wish* I was a Blade Runner expert.

When I saw it originally -- the 1982 theatrical release with the voice-over-- I had the reaction to it that most of my friends had to the original Star Wars (which never really caught my interest). I was absolutely mesmerized, and I still am to this day. Astonishing film.

Blade Runner and Eraserhead are the only two movies I can watch over and over and never tire of. Each time I see either of them, in many ways it's like the first time all over again. I mean, of course I know the storylines by rote, but I find new subtleties and interpretations with every viewing.

Going Saturday night and already I am having dreams of electric sheep.

South_Mountaineer said:

It's amazing how well the original holds up, when so many other "in the future" movies look dated.  That's a testament to the genius handiwork behind it.  Somewhat off-topic, every time I see those big video screen ads that are now around the Short Hills Mall, it reminds me of "Blade Runner" every time.

I always wondered if the idea of the drone video ads would become a reality.  The lighted umbrella rods made perfect sense in the dark, wet and gloomy atmosphere.  "Blade Runner-1982" is one of the most visually stunning films that I have ever seen.  The film even inspired me to take an origami class.  The beautiful attention to small details helped to make this film a masterpiece:  family photos become dreamily animated; a visit to a genetic engineer's apartment is a child's wonderland of assorted human androids.  The entire concept of the replicants was mind-blowing, but familiar, food for thought. Even some of the seemingly simple dialogue was unforgettable for what it represented:  "Eyes!  I just do eyes!!"  

On Comcast's On Demand Syfy channel you can see the final cut of "Blade Runner-1982" until October 18, 2017.  

to 3D or not to 3D? I generally dislike 3D ( glasses in glasses!) but see it occasionally if the filmmaker intended/filmed it that way. 

My inclination was no 3D but for some weird reason AMC fine-in has only one Cinema suites showing that isn't 3D and it's at 10:30pm tomorrow.

Plenty of 3D times available 

I'm seeing 2-D on Sunday and 3-D on Oct 22nd.  Problem solved.  grin

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.