Bernie's 2020 Campaign: August 2016 - At least through April, apparently

RealityForAll said:

sbenois said:

No, what I am saying is that you are not a Democrat.  You are a BOT.   

Go join the BOT party.  

We will do this without you.

In the past I believe that you(sbenois) also said that TG was intending to run as a third party candidate.  No such thing is apparently happening.  Please let me know your thoughts on why TG is not moving forward consistent with your prediction (namely, running as a third party candidate).

PS Nice work on trying to heal the schism in the Democratic Party.

PS.  Start your outrage with Nan.

This guy has reality for all except himself. 

DaveSchmidt said:

A political party is not a democracy.

It should be and if it's not than we should stop pretending that we live in one.   

STANV said:

We do believe in science and we believe in combating Global Warming.

We support Labor Unions

We support equal rights for LGBTQ people

We oppose racism and zenephobia

We support more humane immigration policy

We support expansion of healthcare.

Thank you for trying,  but no, none of these describe what Democrats stand for:

Believe in Science and Global Warming 

If we believe in science than why did the DNC just allow primaries/caucuses to take place given the CDC recommendations?  Also, scientists tell us that we only have 12 years left if we don't have a very strong response now.  Bernie was the only Dem with such a plan and the DNC/establishment Dems worked behind the scenes to make sure he did not win.

Support Labor Unions

Democrats have abandoned labor unions over the past decades. Obama famously did not stand with teachers when they were on strike.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2011/05/17/the-democrats-attack-on-unions-2/

Equal rights fo LGBTQ people -

No they don't stand for that although some have said they should:  https://thehill.com/homenews/house/444320-dem-rep-you-cant-be-a-democrat-if-you-dont-support-abortion-lgbtq-rights

Against racisim and zenephobia

They allowed the racist Bloomberg to run as a Democrat and even changed rules for him. -- So no they don't oppose racism.  Also, many feel the crime bill was racist.  These are just a few examples. 

zenephobia abounds for Democrats.  Just say the word "Russia."

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/02/26/anti-russian-xenophobia-reaches-ridiculous-levels/

A more humane immigration policy?  

Maybe but Obama was not called the deporter in chief for nothing. 

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/10/02/whose-moral-stain-hold-democrats-accountable-on-immigration-too/

We export expansion of healthcare 

This phrase says nothing--that's just a platitude.  Expansion how?  Will everyone be covered?  Will it be single-payer? Will it just expand bad policies that will leave everyone without care?  What about cost?  Trump could say the same thing.  

None of these statements can be said to be what Democrats stand for. 

Please try again.  

nan said:

It should be and if it's not than we should stop pretending that we live in one.   

I never pretended to live in a political party. 

DaveSchmidt said:

I never pretended to live in a political party. 

So you are fine with the privatization of Democracy?

nan said:

So you are fine with the privatization of Democracy?

That question is a nan sequitur.

this just begs to be immortalized

drummerboy said:

Mr. DaveSchmidt won MOL for the week.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

Mr. DaveSchmidt won MOL for the week.

yes. of course, nan is the perfect straight-man.

OK, so I'll take that as a "YES."

So far we have Dave Schmidt, nohero and drummerboy fine with the DNC subverting democracy and holding elections during a pandemic, exposing other people's relatives to a potentially deadly disease.

They are now making fun of me because I think the primary election should be fair and democratically decided.   If I had any respect, I might care. 

nan said:

So far we have Dave Schmidt, nohero and drummerboy fine with the DNC subverting democracy and holding elections during a pandemic, exposing other people's relatives to a potentially deadly disease.

They are now making fun of me because I think the primary election should be fair and democratically decided.   If I had any respect, I might care. 

nan,

They (Dave Schmidt, nohero and drummerboy), and sometimes others, work together with their asinine tactics.  Just remember, the following early 20th century quote:

1.  First they ignore you. 

2.  Then they ridicule you. 

3.  And then they attack you and want to burn you. 

4.  And then they build monuments to you. 

Quote from union leader, Nicholas Klein, in 1914 (sometimes mis-attributed to Mahatma Gandhi).

See:  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/first-they-ignore-you/

Clearly, they are no longer ignoring you(nan) so you are making progress.  Don't let them get you down.

nan said:

What you have is Dave Schmidt noting that parties aren’t a democracy. They never were. Sometimes they make changes in an effort to become more democratic, but they also maintain rules, practices and a structure that remain undemocratic. Like campaigns. That was all.

RealityForAll said:

nan,

They (Dave Schmidt, nohero and drummerboy), and sometimes others, work together with their asinine tactics.

I can only anticipate your thorough research into my support of those fellow regulars.

RealityForAll said:

nan said:

nan,

They (Dave Schmidt, nohero and drummerboy), and sometimes others, work together with their asinine tactics.  Just remember, the following early 20th century quote:

Quote from union leader, Nicholas Klein, in 1914 (sometimes mis-attributed to Mahatma Gandhi).

Clearly, they are no longer ignoring you(nan) so you are making progress.  Don't let them get you down.

lol

At least Nan has "Reality for All" in her corner.

I keep thinking of the question posed the other day by Morganna. Something like

Have you ever started typing and then thought better of it?

RealityForAll said:

nan,

Thank you!   I will continue.  What the Hell, I'm stuck at home anyway.  grin

nohero said:

At least Nan has "Reality for All" in her corner.

Nan is honest and thoughtful.  Nan does not play games like other MOL participants.  All laudable attributes.

PS I do not always agree with Nan but I find her honesty refreshing.

ml1 said:

PVW said:

I'm not sure what lessons from the primary this is suppose to imply for the general. If the suggestion is that Sanders would turn out younger voters in the general who did not vote in the primary, that doesn't seem likely. If the suggestion is that voters who backed Sanders in the primary would either vote for Trump or just not vote at all rather than back Biden, I am skeptical that this would happen in high enough numbers to matter.

Do we have any reason to think that Biden would not carry the youth vote in the general by a very high margin?

my point is only that all the people saying that the young voters aren't turning out need to be aware of how many of them there are. They are an important segment of the electorate that should not be discounted even if they don't vote at the rate of older voters. If Biden can get young voters to turn out at the rate they voted in 2018 he will almost certainly win. 

538 weighs in:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/could-bidens-weakness-with-young-voters-hurt-him-in-the-general-election/

From the article:

That last detail really gets at the bottom line: The Democratic primary electorate is so different from the general election electorate that we should assume little carries over. In the primary, a younger electorate helped Sanders; in the general, it will help Biden. In the primaries, Biden has won white voters without college degrees in states like Michigan and Missouri — a group Democrats haven’t carried nationally in a presidential election in more than two decades.

And that’s the point. In a general election, Biden’s set of concerns will be very different from what it has been in the primaries. He should worry a lot more about maintaining support among white voters without degrees in Michigan than among young voters in California. Biden needs to do well with younger voters — but he’ll be trying to persuade them to vote, not necessarily to back him. In short, his problems with younger voters in the Democratic primary aren’t likely to be repeated in the general election. He’ll have a whole new set of issues to worry about.

What I did not see in the article was the breakdown of voters by age in the swing States of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.