Before you book that cruise, read on.....

Using our navy to sink cruise liners (emptied of passengers and crew) would be on my first 100 days in office pledge.  What's Panama going to do about it?

dave said:

Using our navy to sink cruise liners (emptied of passengers and crew) would be on my first 100 days in office pledge.  What's Panama going to do about it?

We can't sink them, they will be needed to serve as floating jails for the countless members of the Trump Administration who have committed serious crimes.

Towards that end, Princess Cruises is suspending operations for 60 days.  One wonders how many of these companies will still be in business when this is all over.  The costs of truly disinfecting one of these behemoths are said to be astronomical.

Klinker said:

Towards that end, Princess Cruises is suspending operations for 60 days.  One wonders how many of these companies will still be in business when this is all over.  The costs of truly disinfecting one of these behemoths are said to be astronomical.

If they’re suspending operations for 60 days then I doubt they’d need to disinfect the ship.  People are throwing around numbers of how long this thing lives on surfaces that range from hours to 9 days

spontaneous said:

Klinker said:

If they’re suspending operations for 60 days then I doubt they’d need to disinfect the ship.  People are throwing around numbers of how long this thing lives on surfaces that range from hours to 9 days

I hadn't thought about that.  That said, these ships are floating petri dishes.  Even if there is no Trump Virus, there will probably still be a myriad of other contagions.

MT was upset when she was thrown off her cruise ship but these poor people have the opposite problem.

CNN:Coronavirus-hit cruise ship in diplomatic scramble to find somewhere to dock

Frankly, I am amazed that people were still boarding cruise ships two weeks ago after what happened with the Diamond Princess.  What could they possibly have been thinking?

<"petri dishes">  I'm so tired of hearing this expression. There are many venues that are just as germ-laden if not more. Should we call the subways "rolling petri dishes"? 

Or perhaps call airplanes "flying petri dishes"? I've gone on 5 cruises over the years, never gotten ill. But more than once, right after I've taken a long airplane flight, I've gotten a cold.

unicorn33 said:

<"petri dishes">  I'm so tired of hearing this expression. There are many venues that are just as germ-laden if not more. Should we call the subways "rolling petri dishes"? 

You ever spend 168 hours straight on a subway or an airplane? Cruise ships are floating disease vectors.

Klinker said:

unicorn33 said:

You ever spend 168 hours straight on a subway or an airplane? Cruise ships are floating disease vectors.

I've often spent 10 hours a week on a packed subway!

unicorn33 said:

Or perhaps call airplanes "flying petri dishes"? I've gone on 5 cruises over the years, never gotten ill. But more than once, right after I've taken a long airplane flight, I've gotten a cold.

Absolutely true. My husband and I traveled all over the world via cruise ships — one week adventures to 28 day sailings. In very random order, some of the cities we visited: European capitals, St. Petersburg, Cairo, Istanbul, Sydney, Auckland, Venice, Rio,  Maui, etc. We sometimes had to fly to pick up a cruise in Europe, Middle East, etc. No comparison!

Flying has been a dreaded but necessary means of travel since our first fight  to Ireland and Greece in 1984. On a flight to Israel back in the ‘90s, we dealt with intense security, an armed security guy standing in the front of the cabin staring at us during the long uncomfortable journey. A real threat to folks trapped in a too small seat in an aluminum cigar case, jammed cheek to jowl, for many hours is developing blood clots. Almost inevitably I have had respiratory issues from air travel. Wouldn’t doubt airports contribute to high blood pressure!

Our last cruise together, in 2014, was to revisit Canada, where we had spent our honeymoon in 1954. Added Greenland and Prince Edward Island on this trip.

Unfortunately, cruise lines have been producing floating Disney Worlds, adding way too many  passengers who party way too hard. The resulting loss of tranquility for those passengers seeking to walk the decks, sit poolside,  take afternoon naps, and enjoy the ship’s library, these behemoths make it basically impossible now. Floating Times Squares are indeed floating Petri dishes.

My first solo cruise, six months after my husband’s death in 2018, was an anomaly from every perspective. I booked a behemoth because the port was NYC (no flight) with a destination to sunny Caribbean islands. Obviously, I miscalculated signing up. But the trip, painfully exposed the underbelly of cruising today.

I have called planes flying petri dishes for years.  

I don’t even care about the germs, unless you have $$$ and can afford business or first class, flying is just sheer hell

Any bail out of the airline industry ought to include a Passenger's Bill of Rights!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.