Banning leaf blowers permanently

vermontgolfer said:

Robert_Casotto said:

Gas powered snowblowers should be banned as well. Otherwise, this banning only of gas powered leafblowers is Season-ist.
Don't give them any ideas

They may already have ideas, including these: Sidewalk and driveway snow removal is a matter of public access and safety. The noise is infrequent. And the substance that these machines blow around is somewhat different in nature from the particulate that their vernal, estival and autumnal cousins scatter.

I'll say this, though: the poop and yellow snow go a hell of a lot farther than my leaves do.

The particulate was particularly extreme last couple of days. I call on the Wind deniers to do what needs to be done here.

Another lengthy discussion about leafblowers at last night's TC meeting, including what appears to be a resolution. Pending a vote on a resolution at the next meeting to confirm what was decided last night, it appears that the following changes will be adopted:

1) a complete ban on the use of gas-powered leafblowers by landscapers and other commercial enterprises from May 15 to September 30 (does not apply to residents on their own property)

2) during the period when blowers are allowed, the permitted hours will be 8 AM to 6 PM on weekdays, 10 AM to 5 PM on Saturdays, and 11 AM to 5 PM on Sundays (no commercial use on Sundays year-round), but no limit on the number of blowers that can be used at one time

3) heavy fines for violations of the ban or hours by commercial users ($500 for first offense, $1000 for second, $1500 for third, and $1500 and possible loss of license/right to work in Maplewood for fourth offense and beyond)

4) no leaves can be placed in the street more than 7 days before scheduled pick up by the town

5) commercial workers using leaf blowers will be required to wear safety equipment to protect their hearing and breathing, with fines issued to the employer for failure to comply

All of the residents who spoke last night were in favor of some kind of ban, and those who spoke on behalf of the landscapers seemed satisfied that their concerns had been heard and some reasonable compromises reached.

Great! Now how about the non organic cosmetic lawn chemical ban!

Will the new rules apply to Maplewood DPW workers?

Time to ban cosmetic toxic lawn chemicals too!

For those of you who are opposed to the ban - this petition is circulating: http://bit.ly/NoBlowerBan

My morning chuckle:

Moreover, under this proposed Ordinance, a parent who, as part of their family chores, pays their son or daughter to use a gas-powered leaf blower to clean the driveway is subject to a $500 fine.

I guess that's because the ordinance says, "A commercial entity shall include ... any person or entity charging a fee for services." Pssst, sons and daughters: Here's your chance to put Mom or Dad over a barrel and charge extra for the broom and rake.

Of the 27 signers (out of 93 over all) who posted a reason for signing the petition, which was started by the New Jersey Landscape Contractors Association, none list a Maplewood address. No doubt that will change, but it's somewhat striking at the moment.

Like nearly every online petition, this one is laughably stupid and surely will have zero impact on the decision.

One down, two pesticides to go!!

So, how do we report violators?

I laud this measure for sure, but I'm baffled by both homeowners and landscapers who routinely blow grass, debris, etc into the center of the street after a routine weekly cutting. In my world doesn't much of this blow back into their yard or their neighbor's?

Just tried to sign the petition to no avail. Got to figure out why. Otherwise there would be at least one signature with a Maplewood address!

jeffl said:

Just tried to sign the petition to no avail. Got to figure out why. Otherwise there would be at least one signature with a Maplewood address!

I think they have stopped taking signatures and are now collecting money for a law suit. I am trying to imagine what twisted interpretation of the 2nd Amendment would include the right to bear leaf blowers. If the state can ban cars without mufflers and noisy parties after midnight, they can certainly ban howling leaf banshees.

That said, I ask you to reconsider and open your heart to the idea of living on a quiet tree lined street where everyone gets to breathe and rakes aren't just curious antiques. My kid will thank you as will hundreds of other folks with asthma and other breathing problems.

Quick question. What is the benefit for those whose homes border another town? Sometimes this could be the same street or a shared backyard.

annielou said:

Quick question. What is the benefit for those whose homes border another town? Sometimes this could be the same street or a shared backyard.

I live in SO on the MW border and I am looking forward to half as much particulate and half as much noise.

But Maplewood residents on border streets will still hear the noise, possibly right next door.

annielou said:

But Maplewood residents on border streets will still hear the noise, possibly right next door.

You have to help us spread the peace. I have relatively high hopes that SO will take this up soon.

If Maplewood did it you can be sure SO will follow.

tourn said:

One down, two pesticides to go!!

Not really. I still get to use mine during the week and on weekends, homeowners are already likely planning on doing their own after their landscapers leave (and some have already told their landscapers to simply do it anyway, albeit more in the QT given enforcement will still be as spotty-to-nonexistent as it was), and everyone gets to use them in the fall. But keep trying. How's are the bans in your neck of the woods coming along?

About the leaf lower ban.I read all the articles in the newspapers and they said the vote was unanimous.I would like to know if the Mayor,Deputy Mayor and Trustees make it unanimous,because none of the home owners were involved.These landscapers don't stand a chance,but this is old news now.                                                                                                                                       Now there is talk about banning chemicals in the town.So if you want to do a landscaping job on your home to improve and bring up your value of your home,you can't because all that work needs to be treated. Next they don't want you to put up for sale signs or any other signs.What's next we have to go in front of the Maplewood Board to sell our house.That eyesore of a building going up in Maplewood village. Maplewood village was a beautiful village for years,no more.The mess of the streets,pot holes,debris,which the DPW and landscapers would be able to clean if they were allowed to use their blowers.The horrible job they do after a snowstorm.                                                            Another article I read in the Star-Ledger,from a home owner in Maplewood,on how they tried to raise his taxes from $7100 to $15,000. for bathrooms that didn't exist.Makes us wonder how many other homeowners are being over taxed. Maybe it's time for a change,before it's to late.What I mean by change is New Mayor,Deputy Mayor and Trustees,and also the Director of Public Works of Maplewood,the leaves from the fall are still there smelling up the whole area.

your facts are wrong, but your rant is entertaining.

FilmCarp said:

your facts are wrong, but your rant is entertaining.

I particularly enjoyed her use of fonts.  I felt it made a bold statement.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.