Arrest made in assault case

spontaneous

They describe him as a 40 year old male.  Can we assume that the other incident on the same day was not related, or does this man just appear very young?


Like  
Morganna

That's a jury I'd volunteer to be on.


Like  
lanky
spontaneous said:
They describe him as a 40 year old male.  Can we assume that the other incident on the same day was not related, or does this man just appear very young?

 I don't know of the other incident on the same day, perhaps you are referring to the incident with the lady walking her dog from the Friday before describing a 15 to 17 year old?  

Edited to add this link... https://villagegreennj.com/police-and-fire/woman-thwarted-push-in-attack-in-maplewood-on-friday/


Like  
spontaneous

I might be mistaken, one of the many discussions I read said that a teen tried to push a woman into her home.  I thought they were the same day, but I guess I got that part wrong


Like  
spontaneous

Even so, do they think it was the same person, or is the attempted push in suspect still out there? 


I ask because sometimes people can be wildly off with ages.  Add in the stress the woman was under when giving the description .  


Like  
lanky
spontaneous said:
Even so, do they think it was the same person, or is the attempted push in suspect still out there? 


I ask because sometimes people can be wildly off with ages.  Add in the stress the woman was under when giving the description .  

 Purely a guess but reading up on the different news articles and given the different areas of town where the incidents happened, I'm guessing the 2 were completely unrelated.  The woman with the dog seemed fairly specific and lucid - "”looks 16, 17, 18, young black male. Cream or gray zip-up sweat shirt with light camouflage pants. Slight, not athletic".   I can't imagine she'd confuse this guy for 17 and slight.


Like  
redrobin

Where did they both happen?



Like  
yahooyahoo
spontaneous said:
I might be mistaken, one of the many discussions I read said that a teen tried to push a woman into her home.  I thought they were the same day, but I guess I got that part wrong

 They were at least a few days apart.  


Like  
lanky

According to Village Green and the victim's FB post, Friday's was on Suffolk Ave.  The other one was elsewhere/ not exactly close to Suffolk Ave.


Like  1 Like
Robert

The incident related to the arrest that was made appears to have taken place off Springfield Ave.  It isn’t difficult to piece together the location based upon the reporting of this, both print and tv.


Like  
spontaneous

So the suspect in the second incident is still potentially out there


Suffolk Ave to Springfield Ave area might not be the same neighborhood, but it is most certainly walkable


Like  
Steven

A comment on the utility of perp descriptions.  Yesterday, walking down Valley Street, I ran into a guy who looked EXACTLY like the man in the picture.  He asked me for directions, we exchanged pleasantries and we went our separate way.  I hadn't heard of the arrest but the suspect had already been in jail for 12 hours.

I can't help but think about the fact that, if a completely accurate description of the individual in the picture above had been released, that encounter would have been completely different.  I would have, understandably been freaked out and the guy I met would probably have been taken in for, at a minimum, questioning (with all that entails for an African American male in our society).



Like  
lanky
Robert_Casotto said:
The incident related to the arrest that was made appears to have taken place off Springfield Ave.  It isn’t difficult to piece together the location based upon the reporting of this, both print and tv.

 Yes, despite the attempts to keep victim anonymity, when the TV news interviews a neighbor (including neighbor's name) describing the street being blocked off, it's pretty easy to find out exactly which block.  


Like  
ctrzaska
spontaneous said:
So the suspect in the second incident is still potentially out there


Suffolk Ave to Springfield Ave area might not be the same neighborhood, but it is most certainly walkable

Second incident- was caught.  First- not yet.  


Like  
hk45

My mother was approached by a kid this morning (she said teenager) while walking the dog  and he asked her if she had a bathroom, needed her house cleaned, had a vacuum, if he wanted to walk her home - she told him the dog bites and would not say where she lived when asked and walked away. Thankfully another neighbor with their pitbull walked by and the kid headed down Parker towards Boyden Ave. (this was in Clinton School area). Police have been called and description given - they so far have not found him. Be aware and careful out there!


Like  1 Like
John

Were the police called, immediately or later on. 


Most of us have cell phones. If you are confronted with questions like, "Where do you live?,"  Use voice activation to immediately call 911.


Yeah, we don't want to be a bother to the cops or call and find out it was some kid having a valid excuse. Still, you may be saving a neighbor some future problems or yourself.


My point is, not that your mom's response was not appropriate, rather, to plan your options before an encounter. That way, if you are involved in a situation, you know how you will act and be less likely to become afraid, then confused.


Like  1 Like
lanky
hk45 said:
My mother was approached by a kid this morning (she said teenager) while walking the dog  and he asked her if she had a bathroom, needed her house cleaned, had a vacuum, if he wanted to walk her home - she told him the dog bites and would not say where she lived when asked and walked away. Thankfully another neighbor with their pitbull walked by and the kid headed down Parker towards Boyden Ave. (this was in Clinton School area). Police have been called and description given - they so far have not found him. Be aware and careful out there!

 I wonder if the description was similar to the "push in" incident.


Like  
hk45

No, she didn't have her cell on her but did call MPD as soon as she got in the door (few minutes later). She'll be carrying it for now on.


Like  
lanky
hk45 said:
No, she didn't have her cell on her but did call MPD as soon as she got in the door (few minutes later). She'll be carrying it for now on.

 I mean, I wonder if the description she gave was similar to the description the other victim gave (slight, 15-17, etc....)


Like  


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.