Accusation against SOMA School Board member

That is a ridiculous argument.

Damn, I keep missing things in this discussion. Mentioned in another thread:

kmt said:

In the SLM thread, you can see several people explicitly state the political calculation they make about her removal from the BOE for her racist insults and her abuse of power — that is, they support her because it’s in their narrow self-interest.

Some have observed that there’s a political calculation at play, but darned if I can find the several people who have said it’s among their reasons for opposing her removal.

ETA: nevermind, “political calculation at play” versus “reasons to oppose SLM’s removal”, it’s a pointless semantics game.

@kmt

sprout said:

Removing Ms. Baker and Ms. L-M seems a good strategy for pushing through something too fast that will be highly divisive. And require budgetary support for it.

The ending indicates my point: This is explaining why removing her may be Mr. Fields' strategy to increase the proportion of supportive BOE members towards the terms of his lawsuit.

My personal perspective has been consistent across ALL infractions by District personnel: First try "Restorative Practices". If it's beneficial for our students, it should also be beneficial for our administrators, BOE, police, and our community.

Yes, I like your analogy between SLM and disturbed children / criminals.

kmt said: Yes, I like your analogy between SLM and disturbed children / criminals.

OK... So, you don't know what restorative practices are. I'll see if I can find some good explanations and examples this weekend.

kmt said:
ETA: nevermind, “political calculation at play” versus “reasons to oppose SLM’s removal”, it’s a pointless semantics game.

That depends. In my experience, if analogies and paraphrases suggest that people on one side of a debate misunderstand what the other side is saying, the discussion suffers.

The fault may be the other side’s for not making itself clear. Twenty pages, though, are probably its best shot.

What if those who want SLM removed actually do something about it other than posting on MOL.  Even if you post in all caps, nothing will come of it.

I know nothing of the work she has done on the BOE and I can believe that she has learned a lesson from her time in the virtual stocks being pelted by virtual rotten tomatoes.  So, I don't feel a need to hound her out of the BOE.

@sprout:

I saw your previous messages on the subject.  It’s a nice idea.  Maybe you should pitch it to the ethics committee (seriously).  My opinion on the subject doesn’t matter much, but if I had a vote it would be to remove her while she’s being restored.  I honestly don’t wish her harm and I believe that she can come back from this — I don’t think that anybody is irredeemable.

The political calculations are clear enough I think, and everyone has been pretty straightforward in acknowledging them.

@tjohn:

Nothing to do now really, it’s in the hands of the ethics committee.  That process takes a while.

hopefully sooner than later

@sprout

“The ending indicates my point: This is explaining why removing her may be Mr. Fields' strategy to increase the proportion of supportive BOE members towards the terms of his lawsuit.“

Not sure what is meant by the ending that indicates your point, but are you saying SLM is against Field’s lawsuit?

mem said:
Not sure what is meant by the ending that indicates your point, but are you saying SLM is against Field’s lawsuit?

I don't have evidence to specifically point to that, but my impression from her approach during BOE meetings made that seem likely. Also since someone from the 'inside' decided to provide the video to Mr. Fields anonymously, it strikes me as likely that there are known differences in opinion.

sprout said:

mem said:
I don't have evidence to specifically point to that, but my impression from her approach during BOE meetings made that seem likely. Also since someone from the 'inside' decided to provide the video to Mr. Fields anonymously, it strikes me as likely that there are known differences in opinion.

I think every member of the BOE should be against Field's lawsuit. They should be looking for a resolution. We had a settlement on the first lawsuit but the BOE let Ramos do whatever he wanted and we ended up with a second lawsuit.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertisement

Advertise here!