Absolutely Delicious Verjus

galileo

Last night I had the most delicious meal I've had in I don't know when. It was German night at Verjus and it was perfect. There was not an empty table.  It is comfortable dining with the best of everything. Not only that, there is plenty of parking. If you haven't been,try this award winning restaurant.


author

galileo said:

Last night I had the most delicious meal I've had in I don't know when. It was German night at Verjus and it was perfect. There was not an empty table.  It is comfortable dining with the best of everything. Not only that, there is plenty of parking. If you haven't been,try this award winning restaurant.

 The jewel in the crown.............great food owners and staff.  You are denying yourself a treat if you eat only in the village


Tom_R

galileo said:

Last night I had the most delicious meal I've had in I don't know when. It was German night at Verjus and it was perfect. There was not an empty table.  It is comfortable dining with the best of everything. Not only that, there is plenty of parking. If you haven't been,try this award winning restaurant.

If you would tell us that which you recall of the menu offerings, it would be greatly appreciated. Charlie does a sauerbraten that I would rate an 8 out of 10.  Would order it again, without hesitation. 

I'd particularly like to know what the available entrees and suggested wine parings were.

Unfortunately, German night was Friday only (I called). Next Friday is Portuguese night.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

TomR


jamie

His sauerbraten is great - wasn't on the menu last night.  Here's what this past week's German night menu was:


galileo

I had the most delicious dumplings,tender paprika chicken and rich chocolate kuchen. There was a choice of rye bread or sourdough rolls and marinated cucumbers and onions.


Tom_R

Danke euch beiden.

TomR


drummerboy

hmmm - chestnut soup? I never considered such a thing.


alberth

That menu looks good. I have been there only a few times, but every time there is hardly anyone there. So now it was packed?


sac

I believe they have the special nights every Friday!  Verjus is our very favorite upscale restaurant.  (I know this is sacrilege to some, but we like it much better than Lorena's for example.)


joanne

drummerboy said:

hmmm - chestnut soup? I never considered such a thing.

 I’ve got a recipe - will post in vegan thread


jamie

alberth said:

That menu looks good. I have been there only a few times, but every time there is hardly anyone there. So now it was packed?

 It was a full house.  Also, if anyone is interested or know of anyone - they're looking for waiters and bussers.


bub

It's a quiet place.  Not a "scene." Nothing like the noisier, new/NYC cuisine places that people seem to favor around here now.  But I've never had a bad meal and the owners and staff are wonderful.  


soda

Jane & Charlie pour their hearts into their restaurant, and it shows in every aspect of the Verjus experience! (Photo taken last month...)

-s.


Jasmo

Jane & Charlie have raised their lovely family in Maplewood, wonderful folks.


alberth

Looks great. I am going to try a Friday evening again.


EBennett

We always enjoy our meals there.  Admittedly, we would go more often if it was BYOB.


soda

Be assured that the Verjus crew awaits your next Non-Bistro Night visits as well...

-s.


shh

I always want to go but the menu doesn’t seem very vegetarian/pescatarian/GF friendly. (I know, I know.) We had gone for brunch several times with our kids and my in laws way, way back and it was really enjoyable, but for dinner there doesn’t seem to be much for me to eat.

If they offered mussels and frites (as I saw once on the bistro menu) we would go often. Their regular dinner menu online (which is what it was the one time we went for dinner many years ago) says it changes daily. Does anyone know if they are accommodating? For example Lorena’s will basically make anything on the menu gluten free for me. 


soda

shh said:

I always want to go but the menu doesn’t seem very vegetarian/pescatarian/GF friendly. (I know, I know.) We had gone for brunch several times with our kids and my in laws way, way back and it was really enjoyable, but for dinner there doesn’t seem to be much for me to eat.

If they offered mussels and frites (as I saw once on the bistro menu) we would go often. Their regular dinner menu online (which is what it was the one time we went for dinner many years ago) says it changes daily. Does anyone know if they are accommodating? For example Lorena’s will basically make anything on the menu gluten free for me. 

 Address this question to Jane directly (973-378-8990) and you may be pleased with her reply... Or not...

-s.


NotoriousEAM

They're the best. We love this place and go often. I'm hesitant to say this - because it could cause a rush for this dish - but the beef bourguignon is so amazing. I dream about it. But they have, on occasion, ran out because of the demand. That's it. I'm going this week!


shh

soda

 @soda, since there is no indication of GF/VG options on the menu, I assume it’s not an issue for them to provide alternatives. Many places have updated their menu or have options in italic. (Or even just “please notify us in advance of any food allergies and we will do our best to accommodate” would make me feel like it’s an option.) 

Perhaps someone else who has been has experience with this concern. 


soda

Wassamatta, you Shhy? Call! And when you do, please ask Jane when they'll next be offering my favorite dessert... TIA.

-s.


drummerboy

I don't mean to be a downer, but I've only been to Verjus once, for brunch. I ordered something similar to a shakshuka, and I was quite disappointed. When the owner (I think) noticed I hadn't finished, I told her that I thought the tomato sauce base just overpowered the eggs, and it just wasn't very tasty. She was very nice and didn't charge me for it.

OTOH, my companion loved her eggs benedict. Best she's had, she said.

I would go back.


drummerboy

Hope I didn't mess this thread up.


ctrzaska

My God, there’s a Holsteiner Schnitzel on the menu.


mjc

just 3 words (from memory, 15 years ago, before we moved away): lavender creme brulee : )


soda

Just so ya know: Tomorrow night's German Night again!

-s.




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.