Presidential Results Thread

but they're good people

Martha Radditz is trying to be neutral but she seem sot be choking back tears.

Will you stop, ever? Have you listened to none of the commentary on reasons why Trump is doing so well? It is precisely the elitist, condescension that you display in spades that is shaping up to be a major factor in the results

drummerboy said:

but they're good people

All I can think of are the SCOTUS picks. Justice Ginsburg can't retire now.

It's now November 9, and, oh yeah, we changed the world. Nighty night.

The people have spoken. Our jobs as citizens are over for now. It's now Trumps turn to take command of the awesome power of the Presidency.

Democracy is awesome! grrr

This is crushingly disappointing for women on so many levels.

tjohn said:

Will you stop, ever? Have you listened to none of the commentary on reasons why Trump is doing so well? It is precisely the elitist, condescension that you display in spades that is shaping up to be a major factor in the results
drummerboy said:

but they're good people

Correct as usual.

As surprised and freaked out as I am about the prospect of a trump presidency, I have to say I'm enjoying seeing the smug elites getting blown up tonight.

The NYTimes recently had an online article titled "Read our most insightful election commentary". Ha! Typical self-referential hype nonsense. I wonder how insightful it all sounds now!

tjohn said:

HRC is won't run again. Bernie, maybe. I would hope somebody younger. Of course, much depends on what the Republicans do with their political power. Guns, God and anti-gay aren't the same as a good job and income. And exactly what the Republicans will do for their lower income supporters is not clear to me.

Appoint extremely conservative SC court justices. A generational effect.

The Republicans have congress and the presidency. Now is their opportunity to privatize Medicare and possibly Social Security. To destroy the EPA, make it a Koch Inc. subsidiary. We can again have dead fish floating in the Hudson.

I don't know if he'll follow through on his tariff threat. If he puts a 45% tariff on China then consumers who buy products from there like cell phones, TV's, appliances will be paying this 45% tax.

Reinterpret (water down) the first amendment with the help of a compliant SC. Trump said he wanted to open libel laws to bring the media to heel.

Strengthen the 2nd Amendment. Make open carry the law of the land. A frisson of excitement on open school night with some parents openly carrying strapped on handguns.

And so on.

I honestly can't believe this is really happening. No one should have to fear for their life because one candidate won over the other. How did we get here?

I can't believe it either.

If you guys feel fearful and alienated by the country's leadership, don't worry; You get used to it.

I wonder what will change in economic terms? Clearly LGBT progress is going to take a hit. And I think voter suppression efforts will gain strength . All of this because of the Supreme Court. But will anybody deliver on promises to bring back good jobs? I don't see how

terp said:

If you guys feel fearful and alienated by the country's leadership, don't worry; You get used to it.

conandrob: I'd say I may have been looking TOO hard at the TV. Glad I hadn't checked polls too much before this. Because, you know, polls.

ctrzaska said:

conandrob: I'd say I may have been looking TOO hard at the TV. Glad I hadn't checked polls too much before this. Because, you know, polls.

Most of what you said seemed to be based on polls before tonight- it was like you weren't watching what was happening tonight. It doesn't really matter anyway... nothing does now.

Morganna said:

Large swaths of women voted for Trump, mainly outside of metropolitan areas. Not all appear to have the same priorities.

terp said:

I don't understand what this means. Were you fearful with Obama as president or just disappointed? There is a huge difference between feeling fearful and just being unhappy about the way things went. I'd be disappointed if McCain, Paul Ryan, Jeb Bush, Kasich or many of the others won. I'd be worried that some things that are important to me might be in jeopardy.

But I wouldn't be AFRAID and I wouldn't be crying hysterically at the prospect of any of them as our President.

I don't know about any of that stuff. To be honest, it's hard to tell. Trump may not be the brightest bulb, but I also don't think he's an ideologue. I actually don't think he has any type of governing philosophy. So, its kind of hard to figure.

I have not seen very much clarity from Trump. From an economic perspective, I think regime uncertainty should be a pretty big concern. I think Trump needs to get a coherent plan out there prior to being sworn in.

I hope he stops poking the Russian Bear and puts us on a more sensible FP path. The jury is still out on that one as well.

tjohn said:

I wonder what will change in economic terms? Clearly LGBT progress is going to take a hit. And I think voter suppression efforts will gain strength . All of this because of the Supreme Court. But will anybody deliver on promises to bring back good jobs? I don't see how
terp said:

ctrzaska said:

Morganna said:

Large swaths of women voted for Trump, mainly outside of metropolitan areas. Not all appear to have the same priorities.

Again, please look at some actual data. Clinton won handily with women, Blacks, Hispanics, other minorities and educated Whites. So, it IS indeed crushingly disappointing for women.

"I actually don't think he has any type of governing philosophy. So, its kind of hard to figure."

Okay, if we follow this path, this means Pence truly leads the country. Does anyone feel any better about that? He is one of the most extreme conservative politicians out there.

I think you are being overly dramatic. Yes, change can make people fearful (and I am sure some Trump supporters will be over the top). By the way, I continue to detest Trump. Sorry to hear that you feeling so bad. I did not like either of the major candidates.

conandrob240 said:

terp said:

I don't understand what this means. Were you fearful with Obama as president or just disappointed? There is a huge difference between feeling fearful and just being unhappy about the way things went. I'd be disappointed if McCain, Paul Ryan, Jeb Bush, Kasich or many of the others won. I'd be worried that some things that are important to me might be in jeopardy.

But I wouldn't be AFRAID and I wouldn't be crying hysterically at the prospect of any of them as our President.

Never in the history of someone feeling depressed and hopeless have they been helped by being told they are "being overly dramatic". Thanks.

And, no, I'm really not.

Not necessarily. It's not clear how close to Pence he is. IMO this is not Cheney/Bush. That relationship had a long family/political history. I'd look out for who he hires as advisers. I haven't followed the details, but someone who I follow closely, has not been too impressed with his FP team. I'm really hoping for much less adventurism. I know I wasn't going to get that with Clinton. It's possible under Trump. Alas, it's somewhat unlikely.

conandrob240 said:

"I actually don't think he has any type of governing philosophy. So, its kind of hard to figure."

Okay, if we follow this path, this means Pence truly leads the country. Does anyone feel any better about that? He is one of the most extreme conservative politicians out there.

It may be time to start reviewing what each candidate did right and what they did wrong.

==============================================================

DJT:

1. Normalized speech that would normally be condemned (for example, Mexicans are rapists, banning Muslims from entry into the US);

2. Failed to obtain big donations from elites;

3. Failed to create a sophisticated ground game for the election;

4. Failed to enunciate clear policy initiatives during campaign for his potential administration .

==============================================================

HRC:

1. Failed to provide potential policy changes for negative effects on US manufacturing since NAFTA;

2. Told coal miners that they she was going to put them out of business (just imagine if someone went to Wall Street and told Wall Street that the candidate intended to put them out of business);

3. Did not address the fact that Christians have felt under attack for the last few years;and

4. Believed that raising enough money would get her elected (I guess Citizen's United fund raising does not guarantee success).

It really looks like it's over. She needed Michigan and Wisconsin. Those numbers just don't seem surmount able.

conandrob240 said:

ctrzaska said:

Morganna said:

Again, please look at some actual data. Clinton won handily with women, Blacks, Hispanics, other minorities and educated Whites. So, it IS indeed crushingly disappointing for women.

I have. Handily wouldn't exactly be a word I'd use.

CNN: 45% of white college grad women voted for Trump. Only a 6pt difference. Six. Way more than projected.

NBC: Trump with a 10pt lead with white women. Of middle age? 20pts.

Blacks and Hispanics aren't any surprise, except for him with better numbers on the latter.

Yes, fine, you win. It wasn't "handily". It doesn't matter anyway.

Well, the Republican party has been taken over by a strange group. let's see what happens to the Democratic party. This was not a traditional Republican victory . My faith in a traditional Democrat was misplaced, so where does that leave me?

My son still has to go to school today, I still need to work on the house. The routine has to continue.

I have barely been able to sleep. Now I am reading the commentary and reminded of all the things that scare me about the Trump presidency with no Democratic majorities in either chamber to stop him.

I know conventional wisdom says the Republicans will lose seats in Congress in 2018 so there is hope for only two years of unfettered Trumpocracy. But that's a faint hope right now. For years now we've had Barack Obama standing as a bulwark against a Republican Congress that would gut environmental laws, financial regulation, social services, education and arts funding. Now that's gone.

I'm worried in another four years a Democrat will get elected and be handed the smoking ruins of the economy to fix.

I feel sick.

I'm not doing well.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.