A Plea To All People With Multiple Screen Names archived

Don't have a credit card. Yes it's true. Use cash, not plastic. The other half uses plastic. So still this wouldn't help us.

Well, speaking as an American.... "The rest of the world? Who are they?"

All kidding aside, no one cares about non-US citizens.

OK... NOW all kidding aside, I somehow doubt any action is going to be taken anyway so it's kind of a non-issue.

My goodness case. Joanne is one of our most revered MOL contributors. I don;t get your post ^ at all.

eta: Okay. I've already posted on another thread that this kind of humor sounds like an undercurrent of dissing to me. JMO.

We would lose many of our best contributors with a real name system (their professions would prevent named participation). We tried to run a parallel real name forum a few years ago and it was a ghost town. Thankfully, posting anonymously is an American tradition and most people know how to detect real ideas from nonsense and temporary accounts.

Wow. Paine must be rolling in his grave. Comparing Common Sense to anonymously bitching about a SO parking spot.

...or how to behave in a Quiet Car :wink:

But I guess, too, that's the point: if we're common-weal minded (in Paine's sense, i.e. focussed on the common good) as well as 'what's good for me' then the freedom that flexible-entry systems offer should be suitable. Most of us are sensitive enough to collective mood to realise when we're touching a nerve, and then we make conscious choices over what we do about it. Those who persist in being ratbags eventually are so unwelcome they decide to stay away; if they keep resurfacing in other guises, they give themselves away eventually.

I take Fishyz's point about the tediousness of ech of us having to keep our avoidance antennas up for ratbags. But, you know, we do that IRL anyway. And most of you have the FB side of MOL now too, so tehre are other ways around the annoyance factor, I suppose. (I just don't want to wake up one day and find I can't log on!! I'll miss my visits to your part of the world!)

Posted By: normanWow. Paine must be rolling in his grave. Comparing Common Sense to anonymously bitching about a SO parking spot.

Have you read the Please Help section ever? People asking for help with divorce, medical problems, abuse, child issues, etc. might not want to have their names out there.

I'd be wary about joining a group such as www.localocracy.com.

What they're attempting to get is a database of real verified voters, a valuable database that can be marketed for a nice profit.

If MOL were the only forum on the web I would have to agree. However I am pretty sure that there are other specialized forums better suited for those discussions which by their very nature require anonymous ids.

And by better suited I do not mean to belittle that very good advice that is given here but to say that a whole community sharing a common interest is probably a better source of advice and/or empathy.

Posted By: Darryl ScottI'd be wary about joining a group such as www.localocracy.com.

What they're attempting to get is a database of real verified voters, a valuable database that can be marketed for a nice profit.

I don't really think so, especially given their concentration in a few small towns. Registered voter databases already exist, are incredibly detailed, and are relatively inexpensive to access -- roughly a penny per record, in volume.

Posted By: kenboyI don't really think so, especially given their concentration in a few small towns. Registered voter databases already exist, are incredibly detailed, and are relatively inexpensive to access -- roughly a penny per record, in volume.

Seriously. There are tons of services that already have this market *cornered*. We have a contract with Voter Activation Network, one of the biggest, at my office. http://www.ngpvan.com/.

Posted By: Darryl ScottI'd be wary about joining a group such as www.localocracy.com.

Really? It looks like it's actually been a pretty cool tool for a bunch of towns in Massachusetts.

Posted By: mcgregorj
Posted By: kenboyI don't really think so, especially given their concentration in a few small towns. Registered voter databases already exist, are incredibly detailed, and are relatively inexpensive to access -- roughly a penny per record, in volume.

Seriously. There are tons of services that already have this market *cornered*. We have a contract with Voter Activation Network, one of the biggest, at my office.http://www.ngpvan.com/.
Yep. We use Aristotle.

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!