A Plea To All People With Multiple Screen Names archived

Tom
Fishy, I think it would be useful if you started a new thread with your original post from this thread. Then have dave close the thread immediately and sticky-ify it. Strictly speaking, it wouldn't be a thread, but it would be a useful public notice.

kmk
Maybe the secondary screen names could have a (+1) or something after them indicating the duplicity.

Tom
Good idea, kmk, but it's not possible. It's very difficult to prove an identity on the internet.

kmk
How about differentiating the number of names a single computer uses?
This may be of a legitimate help when both a husband and wife use the same computer....

TalkToIt
Posted By: Somethingz FishyMlandres: The problem is, unless you're Dave or Jamie, you can only GUESS about multiple screen names on a thread. I've got some pretty good ideas of what screen names are multiples and who is who and which ones they trace back to, but I certainly don't know for sure. And there are some names that I think are aliases but I'm not sure.

That's part of the problem. If multiple screen names were just tagged as such, I'd have no problem just ignoring them. But it really bothers me to take a poster seriously and engage them in a dialog only to find out that user name is likely one of three others a person is using on that thread.

Further, there are certain posters I've given up engaging with. It drives me nuts to find out that I've ended up inadvertently engaging with them through one of their other names.

(see avatar+fake screen name)

DEFCON Creator
Multiple screen names = weak individual. If you have something to say, MAN UP, and say it. Don't show the yellow mane that runs down your back.

Chick
Nope. I used 'em cause it was FUN.

-s.

BTW: DEFCON rhymes with moron.

DEFCON Creator
Sorry dude, multiple screen names shows insecurity. Kind of like walking into a bar, and talking badly, very loudly, at a bar. When someone confronts you about what you are saying, you make up a name and tell them you are someone else. Pretty weak.

BTW : soda rhymes with viscera.

case
Posted By: Tom ReingoldGood idea, kmk, but it's not possible. It's very difficult to prove an identity on the internet.

It would actually be very easy - though I'm not saying it should be done - to simply do an 'age verification' using a credit card. No need for the real name to be used on the board, but it would be pretty easy for Dave and Jamie to associate a username with a real person.

case
Posted By: DEFCON CreatorSorry dude, multiple screen names shows insecurity. Kind of like walking into a bar, and talking badly, very loudly, at a bar. When someone confronts you about what you are saying, you make up a name and tell them you are someone else. Pretty weak.

BTW : soda rhymes with viscera.

Agreed, and not just because I like your car (I saw it on Maplewood Ave a week or two ago; I wondered who the hell in Maplewood even knew who Judas Priest was and... there went the Defconmobile).

Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but unless Dave and Jamie implement controls (which may have legal ramifications... I honestly don't know) then this issue is going to go on forever. Same with trolls; there's just no way to stomp it out.

DEFCON Creator
Posted By: caseAgreed, and not just because I like your car (I saw it on Maplewood Ave a week or two ago; I wondered who the hell in Maplewood even knew who Judas Priest was and... there went the Defconmobile).

:rolling: With the influx of elitists into Maplewood in the last 10 years or so, you are SO correct. I try to play it loud enough so the high-maintenence wenches with the cell phone welded to their ears, who enjoy waltzing (jaywalking) out from between parked cars, dragging their kid(s), can hear me coming. Just got the Beast back on the road. It's been off for about 8 months while improvements were being done.

Posted By: caseSorry to be a nay-sayer, but unless Dave and Jamie implement controls (which may have legal ramifications... I honestly don't know) then this issue is going to go on forever. Same with trolls; there's just no way to stomp it out.

I just don't understand the need for multiple names. It kind of defeats the purpose of attempting to have a serious conversation, as the three people with different opinions might be the same person. As for trolls, they usually just fade away after a time, if ignored for long enough.

Etticus
For those worried about anonymity and heckling, an alternative will be coming to South Orange.

mcgregorj
Posted By: EtticusFor those worried about anonymity and heckling, Localocracy.org will be coming to South Orange very shortly...

http://mobilizesouthorange.tumblr.com/post/6115997388/localocracy-coming-to-south-orange

That actually looks pretty cool.

The Soulful Mr T
Posted By: noheroWill the real Slim Shady please stand up?
Hey!!!

Sally
Posted By: case
Posted By: Tom ReingoldGood idea, kmk, but it's not possible. It's very difficult to prove an identity on the internet.

It would actually be very easy - though I'm not saying it should be done - to simply do an 'age verification' using a credit card. No need for the real name to be used on the board, but it would be pretty easy for Dave and Jamie to associate a username with a real person.
How does that help? Most people have more than one credit card, don't they?

case
True, but they usually have the same name on each of the cards. The system could be "gamed" to a certain extent (as all systems can be) but I think it would be a huge improvement.

rastro
Posted By: mcgregorj
Posted By: EtticusFor those worried about anonymity and heckling, Localocracy.org will be coming to South Orange very shortly...

http://mobilizesouthorange.tumblr.com/post/6115997388/localocracy-coming-to-south-orange

That actually looks pretty cool.
What am I missing?

bets
Posted By: rastroWhat am I missing?

Looks like that entry, which I read earlier, has been removed. Hope it doesn't mean this isn't going to happen, since it sounds like a really great idea.

Shana
click on kyle trama's name and you can ask him

Etticus
Overreached, still unofficial.

madhatter
etticus stop getting us excited for no reason

mcgregorj
Posted By: rastroWhat am I missing?

See http://www.localocracy.com/.

boomie
Interesting.

joan crystal
How does this differ from the potential offered by MOL?

Etticus
Posted By: madhatteretticus stop getting us excited for no reason

:bigsmile:

bets
Posted By: joan crystalHow does this differ from the potential offered by MOL?

Joan, I believe you have to sign up w/your registered voter information? So there would not be the anonymity that MOL has. I'm not 100 percent sure, so I'll defer to Etticus and wait for the announcement next week.

case
That would be my guess - and even more stringent than the credit-card based verification I talked about earlier.

Of course, the people that thrive on being annoying for the sake of being annoying would HATE this system, but... well, maybe not. Who knows?

The Soulful Mr T
Hey, you don't need two screen names to be annoying.

joanne
not to be a pest however those of us outside your area and who aren't US voters but still have an interest in local matters would find it impossible to join in under the registration terms mentioned above.

And I'm still not sure how most of the suggestions made (for any site) above would resolve the issue we have, of two legitimate user-names with the one e-mail address.

case
because we wouldn't be using email addresses - we'd be using credit cards. A simple $1 charge would associate a given username with a credit card account. Each credit card has a name associated with it. Therefore, every account would have a name associated.

As I mentioned previously, there are ways to game the system - but I think this would certainly slow down on the multiple-alias issue.

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!