DUMP TRUMP (previously 2020 candidates)

I am sure that all of us have posted predictions in the past that were spot on, and others that now seem absolutely moronic.

basil said:

I am sure that all of us have posted predictions in the past that were spot on, and others that now seem absolutely moronic.

there is nothing to be embarrassed about if a prediction didn't come to pass if a person was using a reasonable process to come to a conclusion.  There are people who are "right" in their predictions for all sorts of ridiculous reasons. There are the people who get three or four presidential election predictions in a row correct, but then you find out it's because they base their prediction on whether an AFC or NFC team won the Super Bowl.

nan said:

I just can't go along with the fantasy that Joe Biden can even win, never mind adequately deal with climate change or, my major issue--healthcare.  This just makes me a person with a valid opinion based on facts and history who is terrified at watching a trainwreck spinning out of control down the track. 

NOT A FANTASY!!!  BIDEN IS PRESIDENT!!!!!!

jamie said:

nan said:

I just can't go along with the fantasy that Joe Biden can even win, never mind adequately deal with climate change or, my major issue--healthcare.  This just makes me a person with a valid opinion based on facts and history who is terrified at watching a trainwreck spinning out of control down the track. 

NOT A FANTASY!!!  BIDEN IS PRESIDENT!!!!!!

were you saving that nan post in your back pocket?

jamie's the only one with the true secrets of the search tool

ridski said:

jamie's the only one with the true secrets of the search tool

He knows all.

If there were a thread "Ice Cold Takes", it would be well populated with various calls posters have made, including myself. 

I do clearly remember Nan though, just because she was so strident and 100% certain that Biden would get eaten alive by Trump and if nominated, he had no chance to win the general election. Her conviction (and repetition) on the matter was annoying. 

Smedley said:

If there were a thread "Ice Cold Takes", it would be well populated with various calls posters have made, including myself. 

I do clearly remember Nan though, just because she was so strident and 100% certain that Biden would get eaten alive by Trump and if nominated, he had no chance to win the general election. Her conviction (and repetition) on the matter was annoying. 

You're being kind !

Smedley said:

To be fair, I don't think Biden would have won if it hadn't been for the pandemic.  His victory is a case of a very specific "right guy" coming along at a very specific "right time".  The fact that the election was as close as it was should alarm every decent American.

Of course, reasonable minds can differ.....

Klinker said:

Smedley said:

To be fair, I don't think Biden would have won if it hadn't been for the pandemic.  His victory is a case of a very specific "right guy" coming along at a very specific "right time".  The fact that the election was as close as it was should alarm every decent American.

Of course, reasonable minds can differ.....

this is not an unreasonable take.

I was very concerned that Biden couldn't win, but I also wrote many times that I'd be delighted to come back here in January of 2021 and say that I was wrong.  So I'm happy to have been wrong. I never thought that a Biden-Trump race would turn out record numbers of voters.  And it did on both the Democratic and Republican sides.  The events of the year, including BLM and the pandemic almost certainly brought out voters, as did Trump's inept and offensive responses to both.

ml1 said:

this is not an unreasonable take.

I was very concerned that Biden couldn't win, but I also wrote many times that I'd be delighted to come back here in January of 2021 and say that I was wrong.  So I'm happy to have been wrong. I never thought that a Biden-Trump race would turn out record numbers of voters.  And it did on both the Democratic and Republican sides.  The events of the year, including BLM and the pandemic almost certainly brought out voters, as did Trump's inept and offensive responses to both.

I concur entirely.  I am very happy to have been wrong about this.  Obviously, I would have preferred a progressive but given the insane tenor of the last year, I am not sure that anyone other than Biden could have pulled it off.  Not the President I would have chosen but oh so much better than the alternative.

The Biden of today is closer to the type of candidate I would have preferred than the Biden of last year.

PVW said:

The Biden of today is closer to the type of candidate I would have preferred than the Biden of last year.

Interesting, but he has always been the Biden of today.

Read "What It Takes"

PVW said:

^this too. Biden ran closer to what I wanted than I thought he would. And that may be another result of the pandemic. 

STANV said:

Interesting, but he has always been the Biden of today.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

That said, I am afraid you may be right.  We will see how many new tricks this old dog can learn.

Klinker said:

That said, I am afraid you may be right.  We will see how many new tricks this old dog can learn.

I think you misunderstood me. PVW said that the Biden of today is closer to the kind of candidate he would have preferred than to the candidate he was than the Biden he was last year. The Biden we see today is essentially who he has always been. 

The way he was at the beginning of the Primaries was what may have been out of character.

STANV said:

Klinker said:

I think you misunderstood me. PVW said that the Biden of today is closer to the kind of candidate he would have preferred than to the candidate he was than the Biden he was last year. The Biden we see today is essentially who he has always been. 

The way he was at the beginning of the Primaries was what may have been out of character.

our reservations about Biden haven't been about what he has said, or what he wrote in a book, it's been about the policies he's pursued.  Actions are more important than words, and what he's done in his career made some of us very skeptical when he started this campaign,  I'm hoping he's going to be better as president than he was as a senator.

The fact that he's not going on about the evils of deficits is definitely a huge step in the right direction.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.