2019 School Board Election

roycer said:

Walter Fields 10/30 editorial was spot on and very powerful-integrity should be the top consideration in one's vote tomorrow!

Did he endorse anyone?

susan1014 said:

Did he endorse anyone?

No, he didn't. He warned about the chilling message re-electing SLM would send the children, our police force and the greater community.

I will be voting for Stephanie. I certainly don't condone her conduct at the traffic stop but the bringing of the lawsuit was unwarranted and the 30 day suspension, in my view, is disproportionate. She is smart and I agree with her priorities.  I want her continued experience on the BoE alongside my other two newcomer picks - Siders and Joshua. 

yahooyahoo said:

IMHO, there was no excuse to abstain.  If she disagreed with the process, then vote no.

I believe she is obligated to abstain by BOE rules. 

Coffeegretchen said:

yahooyahoo said:

IMHO, there was no excuse to abstain.  If she disagreed with the process, then vote no.

For what reason?  

https://essexnewsdaily.com/headlne-news/81124

The role of the superintendent was debated at the event, with a member of the public asking how candidates, if elected, would hold the head of the district accountable. Ronald Taylor took over as the district’s superintendent in July. He is the fifth superintendent in the last seven years. Wright abstained from the vote to hire Taylor, saying she believed the process should have been more transparent.

“We should absolutely do a much better job of evaluating superintendents,” she said at the debate. “We have to do a complete and thorough search. You cannot do a search on the superintendent without having everyone who would like to go visit where they are. I’m hoping that now we can make some sort of progress.”

yahooyahoo said:

Coffeegretchen said:

For what reason?  

I don’t know if it’s a rule, but Wright recused herself from a vote on a bonus for Ramos because her daughter is a district employee, according to the Village Green.

asiegel said:

Does anyone know how to access the BOE election results as they come in tomorrow?

Thanks!

Try this tonight.

https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NJ/Essex/98882/Web02.232126/#/ 

Pet peeve.

we have a Board of Education. 

Not a School Board.

I don't care about it in casual conversation or an online message board, but if you're printing up campaign literature, show that you care enough to be accurate.

We have both a Board of Education and a school board.

DaveSchmidt said:

We have both a Board of Education and a school board.

Really? I didn't realize the entity had teo names. My bad.

Just like New York has both the Mets and a baseball team. (Well, depending on what exactly the Wilpons put on the field in any given season.)

DaveSchmidt said:

Just like New York has both the Mets and a baseball team. (Well, depending on what exactly the Wilpons put on the field in any given season.)

Actually this statement is always correct, because Yankees

DaveSchmidt said:

yahooyahoo said:

Coffeegretchen said:

For what reason?  

I don’t know if it’s a rule, but Wright recused herself from a vote on a bonus for Ramos because her daughter is a district employee, according to the Village Green.

I think Wright was using her daughter as a convenient excuse but I see no reason why she couldn't vote on the superintendent's compensation. 

I know she has recused herself from votes regarding the teachers' union/compensation. That makes sense.

I'll be interested to see if the new mail-in voting makes for a more delayed result. I mailed me ballot today. I needed a mail-in ballot last year and I'll get one every year until I opt out.

With an election that's often decided by a handful of votes things could flip in a day or two.

max_weisenfeld said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Actually this statement is always correct, because Yankees

Compadre Schmidt...you just HAD to tee that one up, didn't you. :-( 

Train_of_Thought said:

Compadre Schmidt...you just HAD to tee that one up, didn't you. :-( 

We were talking about a proper noun. 

I thought Yankee fans only answered to improper nouns.

So have the votes been counted?

The link I posted earlier is working:

https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NJ/Essex/98882/Web02.232126/#/

22 of 33 districts reported so far.

STANV said:

So have the votes been counted?

They're still counting. You can see results on the Essex county clerk's website.

SLM is on the outside looking in and Wright in 3rd place. Definitely a strong message for Elizabeth Baker next year.

Looks like my mail-in ballot shall be superfluous 

Seems like it's stuck on 25 out of 33 districts 

It's only 25 out of 33 districts reporting so far. Some candidates can have strong popularity within their neighborhood/school, so the numbers can shift substantially when the next district is counted.

I would say it's too close to call anyone. But so far, it strikes me as a stronger-than-usual showing across the many newcomers as compared to previous BOE elections.

SLM is not making up nearly 600 votes. It’s over.

As Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid votes."

Lawson-Muhammad has outpolled Wright in only four of the 25 districts. All four were in Maplewood, where six of the eight outstanding districts are, but it does seem unlikely that she’ll close the gap when her largest edge over Wright in any district was 32 votes.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

As Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid votes."

Was that necessary?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.