2018 Oscars - Sunday, March 4th

The 2018 Oscars ceremony is coming up on Sunday March 4th.   What are your predictions?  Which nominees would you vote for?  Nominees linked to here: http://oscar.go.com/news/nominations/oscar-nominations-2018-full-list-and-highlights

My picks:

Best Picture: Shape of Water

Best Director: Guillermo del Toro

Personally, I'd vote for Lady Bird and Greta Gerwig, but think Guillermo has this sewed up.  I'm amazed Florida Project wasn't even nominated - I might vote for that over all of them.

Best Actress in Leading Role:  Frances McDormand (my vote would be for Saoirse Ronan)

Best Actress in Supporting Role:  Allison Janney (my vote would be for Laurie Metcalf)

Best Actor in Leading Role:  My pick and vote - Gary Oldman

Best Actor in Supporting Role:  My pick and vote - Sam Rockwell

Please chime in.

I thought Three Billboards was much more favored than Shape of Water in many of these categories?

Maybe.  These are just my own views.

I still think Shape of Water is a poor mashup of ET and Splash.  Overall, a pretty poor year for cinema.

ha! I really disliked The Shape of Water too.

I take that back.  "Get Out" was pretty darn entertaining and original.

lanky said:

I still think Shape of Water is a poor mashup of ET and Splash.  Overall, a pretty poor year for cinema.

Anyone watching tonight?   Best Picture seems to be leaning back and forth between Shape of Water and Three Billboards.  It's a toss-up among my movie-going friends.

Sam Rockwell.  Well-deserved.

angelak said:

Sam Rockwell.  Well-deserved.

Agreed  

what is up with all the endless old clips? Like this isn't long enough. 

I liked it.  So many fantastic films.

Mr T - A Fantastic Woman won.  I meant to see it.  I remember you loved it.

okay, consider me shocked. I had no idea the woman who played young Sheldon's mother was Laurie Metcalf's real-life daughter. Awesome!

Laurie Metcalf was robbed.

angelak said:

Mr T - A Fantastic Woman won.  I meant to see it.  I remember you loved it.

Yes, it was wonderful.  

angelak said:

Laurie Metcalf was robbed.

I like her, she was terrific, but Allison was also amazing!

agreed. It certainly wasn't one where Allison won it unjustly

sorry, I just have to stoop to commenting on appearances. How the hell does Jane Fonda look like that? Holy cow! She's 80 years old!

No further comments? Here's mine

Jordan Peale may be very popular with the crowd but the screen play for Get Out was no way as good as some others such as Three Billboards.

The Shape of Water  was OK, but nowhere near Best Picture. In fact I think almost all the other nominees were better. 

And my favorite, which I believe was the favorite of most movie critics, Lady Bird, was completely snubbed!

I thought Jonny Greenwood's score for "Phantom Thread" was exquisitely fitted to the visuals. I was sorry that it didn't win. Maybe too refined?

I loved Salma Hayek's dress. I loved her quotes. 

Haven't seen "Shape of Water" or "I, Tonya." Not my cuppa. But people I respect have said great things about both. Certainly don't doubt that A. Janney was worthy. I hope Laurie Metcalf has another shot. She is always better than good. 

LOST said:

No further comments? Here's mine

Jordan Peale may be very popular with the crowd but the screen play for Get Out was no way as good as some others such as Three Billboards.
AGREED!
The Shape of Water  was OK, but nowhere near Best Picture. In fact I think almost all the other nominees were better. 
AGREED!

And my favorite, which I believe was the favorite of most movie critics, Lady Bird, was completely snubbed.
AGREED!

Agree with this, and about Laurie Metcalf

brealer said:

I thought Jonny Greenwood's score for "Phantom Thread" was exquisitely fitted to the visuals. I was sorry that it didn't win. Maybe too refined?

Personally, I think this is about the best 4 minutes of film I've ever seen. I got chills watching it a second time.

Best documentary: Icarus was well deserved - is currently on Netflix - don't miss it.

Other nominees were strong contenders as well.  Strong Island and Last Men in Alleppo are on Netflix now and Abacus is on Amazon Prime.  I haven't seen the other one.

Loved the fake commercial for the Overlook Hotel.

Excellent.  Thanks for posting this.

drummerboy said:

Personally, I think this is about the best 4 minutes of film I've ever seen. I got chills watching it a second time.

Tonight I watched the Best Documentary Short film Heaven Is A Traffic Jam On The 405 on YouTube. It's exquisite. Moving. Engaging. Surprising. About artist Mindy Alper. Please watch it.

"Across 40 minutes, this intimate documentary from Frank Stiefel examines the life and work of Mindy Alper, a Los Angeles-based artist whose lifelong struggle with mental illness is reflected in her line drawings and sculptures. Now in her 50s, Alper still communicates two or three times a day with her mother, who has been steadfast in her support, and she still takes a cocktail of medications for obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression, anxiety and psychosis. Her mother notwithstanding, Alper’s artwork serves as her lifeline, a place where she can manage her abundant fears through creative expression."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!