1948 Willy's Jeep for sale in classifieds. This reminds me,

My father was discharged in '45. From somewhere or other, he bought an army surplus jeep and took my mother and I to Montreal in it.

This was before the NYS Thruway was opened to it was probably a full day's ride. He set up some kind of padding in the back flatbed for me to lie on. It had only the two front seats so if I wanted to sit up, I had to sit on the flat wheel covers, facing sideways.

All I remember from the trip was that it was cold. It had a canvas top and a heater that didn't generate much heat. I remember that we stopped at some roadside souvenir place and I got a three or four inch birch bark canoe as a present.

I was around 4 or 5 at the time.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

My father was discharged in '45. From somewhere or other, he bought an army surplus jeep and took my mother and I to Montreal in it.

This was before the NYS Thruway was opened to it was probably a full day's ride. He set up some kind of padding in the back flatbed for me to lie on. It had only the two front seats so if I wanted to sit up, I had to sit on the flat wheel covers, facing sideways.

All I remember from the trip was that it was cold. It had a canvas top and a heater that didn't generate much heat. I remember that we stopped at some roadside souvenir place and I got a three or four inch birch bark canoe as a present.

I was around 4 or 5 at the time.

I have a picture of that somewhere.  Grandpa was wearing work pants and a white T shirt, and you are standing in front of him.  To the right in the end of the driveway you can just make out the canvas top of the Jeep.  I’ll see if I can find it 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.